A History of Giving…
ABOUT THE KIWANIS CLUB OF NORFOLK
The Kiwanis Club of Norfolk is proud to be celebrating its 97th year of service to the Norfolk and surrounding Hampton Roads communities – and indeed – it has reached around the world! This year, Kiwanis International is celebrating its 100th year of international impact! Committed to improving the lives of children at home and around the world, the Kiwanis Club of Norfolk and Kiwanis International have rich stories of triumph to share.
The Kiwanis Club of Norfolk, founded in 1919, has raised and given back well over $1,000,000! It has a long history of giving to Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, indeed raising and giving $14,000 in 1921 to build a 14 room Children’s Clinic to serve children in need, despite their families’ abilities to pay. Additionally, the Club was instrumental in the building of today’s CHKD Emergency Center and in the purchase of a Transport Vehicle; and is presently completing a gift of $50,000 toward the outfitting of a Negative Pressure room at the Hospital.
Each year, numerous charities benefit from the Club’s commitment to philanthropy. Non-profits are invited each March to apply for funding. This past year (2016) a dozen charities received a total of $50,000 – the proceeds of last year’s Harbor Party!